Monday, October 31, 2011

Yes we did see a whale shark!

I have been trying to capture a still image from the video to post but the camera is new and my software is old so the file type is incompatible. So eventually but not today.
Meanwhile, off we went in the zodiac boat on what was, mercifully, a relatively windfree and calm day. We stopped twice for small schools of bottlenose dolphins and I made the mistake of dropping into the water twice to try to see them and twice they ran away leaving me to have to haul myself (with help) back into the stupid boat.
Then we found the whale shark. So 16 people slide off the boat in front of it only to find that they have positioned us 'perfectly' in as much as the shark is running right at us. I scrambled just to get out of its way and then rushed to keep up with it. And just for the record they do NOT swim all that slowly. I was paddling my little heart out while trying all the while to keep my left wrist (with attached video camera) pointed at him.
I kept up as long as I could and then had to stop and wait for the boat to pick me up, gather other folks, and then drop us in again.
The second time I was not one of the first in the water so once I entered I started swimming to where they all were. It turn out the shark was by then ahead of them coming towards the boat so the guide hollered at me to look down. Crap! He was right under me. So more panic, more flailing and then I had to catch up to him again where he started swimming in circles so that everyone was trying to keep away from him and ended up running into each other instead.
So you are probably wondering where Michael was during all of this. Well for the most part I had absolutely no idea. In spite of my initial good intentions to stick with him, it was pretty much every man for himself down there. Miraculously, though, I did end up with video of Michael swimming towards me with the whale shark behind him. (Hence the need to be able to edit the video)
So when it was all over (including seeing two lazy humpback whales who ought not to still be around these parts) we were exhausted, nauseous, and absolutely covered with jellyfish stings (including one that smacked a tentacle across my upper lip); but we were victorious.
Pretty amazing.
Michael, Robin and Faye are content to check that experience off of their bucket lists. I may go again tomorrow just to see if I could relax and enjoy 'being in the moment' with a second pass. We'll see.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments:

Post a Comment