Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Taj Mahal

Last night we arrived in Agra. I had researched hotels probably two years ago and found only two that professed to possess rooms with views of the Taj. The Gateway Hotel and the Oberoi – the latter for many times the price of the former. To be sure, I asked the Gateway to send me a photo of the view from one of the rooms. You know you can never be sure until you see for yourself, however, so as Michael opened the door I was pushing him ahead to the window to see the view. And there it was. Just like the photos. Absolutely beautiful.
We had arranged the trip specifically to coincide with the (near) full moon so we could go in at night to see the Taj glowing in the moonlight. Just ten of us total went in at 8:30P. Unfortunately, this time of year the air quality is so bad that we never saw a single slip of moonlight let alone the moon itself. Nevertheless, we sat quietly for 30 minutes looking at the silhouette of the Taj and listening first to the call to prayers nearby and then simply to the quiet. This morning we returned at sunrise, though, and saw it in all of its glory.
I’ve been fortunate enough to see a fair number of ‘wonders’ in my life, But I have to say that the Taj Mahal exceeds expectation. It is absolutely the most gorgeous structure I have ever seen. I don’t know if that is because you always hear that it is the most beautiful building in the world or because it truly is. But no matter. The effect is the same.
It is magnificent! It is larger than I imagined  - much larger. I also had no idea of the decoration and detail. Even what appears to be reasonably impressive filigree work is, on closer inspection, intricate patterns of inlaid , colorful, semi-precious stones! The ceilings are detailed, the columns have zig zag patterns, and the lower walls are covered in carved relief. Having just told you that photos cannot do it justice, I still give you this completely un-retouched image from Michael’s camera.
Had we not been with a guide and on a schedule, I might have sat for an hour or so just taking it in; and if I ever return, I promise that I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment