Friday, October 28, 2016

Doppelganger

"In all the gin joints in all the world...."

What a crazy morning. We took a different street this morning that ran parallel to our usual street only to find that it actually apparently ran in a parallel universe. We were passing what we thought was a normal archway full of people that turned out to be a time/space travel portal. I didn't even look in as a maneuvered around the crowd, but Michael's eyes were drawn to the $8 all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet sign for the restaurant back down the corridor/black hole/whatever.

The waitress attempted to seat us in the interior of the restaurant but the other section was a sun room of sorts with more light so I asked if we could sit there instead. As we walked to our table, I had to take a step back. I don't think I could even hide my surprise as I turned to Michael to point out one of the two guys sitting at the next table.

As a bit of background, we have been thinking of Michael's son, Jaeson, a lot since we arrived here because he came here to Prague years ago during a summer off from college to teach English. We even called him via WiFi from the Old Town Square last night when we were having drinks.

Well, there, in the flesh, was Jaeson's doppelganger - or as close a one as I ever expect to meet in four more lifetimes. And we told him as much...asking him if he would mind having his picture taken with Michael. Other restaurant patrons were quite amused at the spectacle. But he was up for the game and quite obliging, throwing his arm around Michael's shoulder for the pic.

Even more amazing was that he asked us if we were from the U.S. because he wanted clarification that Puerto Rico was part of the U.S. governed by the same entry requirements. Turns out that he is an AVID diver and is going there on vacation to dive. (Anybody who knows Jaeson knows that diving is one of his passions.) Then just for an added bit of realism, his sidekick/friend asked if they could borrow Michael's car! Yeah, Dad, could we?

Anyway, tooooo funny. So rather than just post the picture of this random, not-Jaeson guy. Since I had to quickly scour facebook looking for a picture of Jaeson to show not-Jaeson and I have them handy....would the real Jaeson Paul please stand up:



 

2 comments:

  1. There must be some Czech in my background someplace. When I was there everyone thought I was a local - I had more people try to speak broken Czech to me than I could count. Oh, and Americans saying super rude things in English, assuming no one would understand.

    ReplyDelete