Tuesday, November 1, 2016

The North Pole

We arrived into Tromso, Norway last night. I had been wondering how close we would be to the Arctic Circle....if someone would tell me if/when I crossed north of it. Well, looking at this map:

We are already there!

Surprisingly, mercifully, it didn't seem ridiculously cold last night. And that was without the benefit of arctic suits and boots and such that will be available to us on our chasing the northern lights tours.

Plus it was crystal clear last night. We could see stars even here in town. That is step one in viewing the aurora. Step two is having the aurora show up at all. Sometimes the lights are strong enough to be visible from here in town even with the ambient light. So I peeked out my window all night long, but nothing.

Fingers crossed for when we go out searching tonight.

Meanwhile, we have a Fjords day trip scheduled for today which should be more than lovely.

So more later.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment