Saturday, May 25, 2019

Etna

Yesterday afternoon we arrived in Castelmola on the hill near Taormina with a view of Mt. Etna.

In the “lessons never quite learned” category is the one that says:

Always buy it, see it, do it, say it, or photograph it when you have the opportunity lest that opportunity never comes again.

Not exactly a pithy fortune cookie phrase....but words to remember nonetheless.

The first time we saw Mt. Etna it was far off in the distance but clear as a bell in a cloudless sky.  No photographic evidence exists.

When we arrived here yesterday afternoon the view from our balcony looked like this:
Then the clouds rolled in though at least the forecast rains have been held at bay. But this afternoon the view looks like this:
A bit eerie, I think.
I will keep trying but weather.com is not optimistic for clearing.

I will, however, try to do better when I get my first glimpse of Vesuvius next week and will snap a picture straightaway just in case.

Meanwhile, I apologize to you, Michael, for discouraging you from buying the first ceramic-topped lemon squeezer you saw and for assuring you that there would certainly be plenty more to pick from later.

And while I am at it, I should probably also say, I Love You. And Thanks for a Wonderful Trip Thus Far.

1 comment:

  1. We have learned this lesson also. I have been to France several times (Nice, Cannes, etc.) but only to Paris once. I was too tired to visit the Eiffel Tower and I have regretted that every since and oh yes, not buying the Chanel iconic blazer, with matching skirt, at a bargain price. Enjoying your blog. xx ps will keep our eyes open for a ceramic-topped lemon squeezer! Linda and Gerry

    ReplyDelete