This morning I got up early, found some coffee and pastries, located the rental car office for tomorrow morning, and took this lovely view of the Riva promenade along the harbor. Our hotel is the one just to the left of the cathedral spire with the curved iron balconies.
Off to the cathedral complex before the crowds. There before 8am. Ticket office opens at 8:15. A few of us politely cued up sitting on the steps. But there is always gonna be those people who make a show of going up the steps to the door to intently study the sign listing the ticket options and pricing. Hmmmmm. What do you think? Hmmmm. Hmmmmm. And then just stand there nosed pressed against the glass to be first in line. As if being sixth in line would have been too awful to allow for politeness in society. Sheesh.
Anyway, into the cathedral only after those two and they flew through so fast I only saw their backsides heading back out a door.
And the lion and lamb guarding the cathedral.
It turns out the cathedral is one room. Lucy’s crypt is one smaller room. Jupiter’s temple (now John the Baptist’s) is one even smaller room. Some pretty, detailed carving. But not a day’s work to be sure.
So I found myself finished and looking for the Treasury which is a museum now but thinking it might at least be old, interesting walls inside. The gentleman told me that it doesn’t open until 9am. It was 8:34am I turned and walked back out, pausing to consider my options. I don’t know if a looked thst sympathetic or or pathetic in my plight, but he called to me and motioned me to go ahead inside. I thanked him profusely and took a quick tour of the tiny three story museum all alone. There were some little, ancient walls below, but mostly religious artifacts and a decent selection of reliquaries. And while I do appreciate me some nice reliquaries, I didn’t need a lot of time in there either.





No comments:
Post a Comment