Thursday, September 8, 2011

Another day, another peso

I was exhausted last night. Even the offsetting luxury of sleeping in an air-conditioned room has not rejuvenated me.

We are still in the business part of the trip so there are no lovely images of ancient Mayan ruins to post. Just sore feet and tired eyes and nobody wants to see that. Suffice it to say that only the boxes of brochures had arrived for our booth set up at the conference exhibit hall. No actual booth set up. So we walked back and forth from the hotel to the hall contacting people, tracking down tracking numbers and Mario and Josue and the guys trying to find them.

After a quick lunch at what is apparently a Mexican equivalent of Denny’s that featured a truly delicious mole, we were finally set up at 3PM. I thought I was going to have the luxury of an English speaking student to help me out because we were told that few attendees would speak English. We’ll the former was false and the latter is true making for a really interesting afternoon.  Luckily I used my trusty google translation tool to find important words like, los folletos, los archivos .pdf and pagina web.

Surprisingly I seem to be muddling through OK or at least folks are politely humoring me. Normally, I am always a little anxious at these events – worried about saying the right thing and sounding articulate and intelligent and not sounding stupid. Interestingly, that was not the case yesterday and I puzzled about it for a while. I’ve concluded that the difference is that I am surprisingly accepting of the fact that when I open my mouth here I am guaranteed to say something stupid and/or sound like an idiot. No wondering. No worries.

Regardless, today promises to be a really long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment