Sunday, November 6, 2011

Dropped right on top of the whale shark

This is a slow motion (1/4 time) video of the second drop. I was trying to swim from the boat toward the other people already in the water unaware that the shark was between them and me until the guide told me to look down. Apologies for the splashing. The camera is strapped to my left wrist so whem I am swimming (or scrambling to move away from the shark) the camera flails in and out of the water along with my arms.


And just for good measure, here are some still images captures from that video. I don't even know if I saw it at this point or if my wrist was just in the water.


I DO KNOW I saw it at this point. (That is my own hand in the picture.)



I wish I had had the presence of mind to just float and let it slide under me but natural instincts or panic (depending on how you look at it) took over and I scrambled to get away. Even so I guess I wasn't really fast enough given the next image.


I asked someone at the dive shop later if it would have avoided me. For better or worse she said that sometimes they are just so much in the 'zone' eating that could have bumped into me (slammed into me, more likely) before it realized I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment