Thursday, October 29, 2015

Room with a View

And I couldn’t help but take a picture of the view out of this Sittwe hotel window as a comparison to the padoga view room outside in Yangon:

Let me help you out here coz I realize it’s not very clear but all of those long, triangular shaped ‘pods’ hanging down from the branches are not pods. They are fruit bats. Big, honking fruit bats. Had I read the guidebook about this particular town, I would have noticed the suggestion to go to the roof of our hotel to watch the fruit bats take off every night from the trees across the street! And how lucky were we that after our trip to the black/brown sand beach for sunset, they were all taking off just as we were getting out of the car on the very inconvenient OPPOSITE side of the street. It was Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds, for heaven’s sake. We had to stand right under them all taking off waiting for an opportunity to get across the stupid street! And then my alarm clock this morning was the sound of them all coming back around 6AM.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment