Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Red-backed, yellow-beaked, palm tree weaver birds?

Boy, that Michael is a chatty guy. It's small wonder I don't typically let him do the blogging - between his inherent verbosity and his drinking problem....

But we are, indeed, hanging by the pool. Never hang by our own pool, but here we are.
Of course, by my own pool nobody comes around with cold, damp cloths every 30 minutes like clockwork. Or peanuts, or plantain chips, or fresh fruit skewers or smoothie shots....and that's all in the last 90 minutes or so.

Meanwhile, I am relaxing and studying the wildlife. Lots of lovely bugs. One big iguana lizard. Swallows, big finches and these birds. They sound a lot like the red-wing blackbirds we had in California but are bigger and clearly have taken up weaving. They also chaised off (nope sorry, I'm in the chaise) chased off some beige, taupey, whitish missile bird...only way I can describe it. In retrospect my brain didn't even register it having wings...it's silhouette was reminiscent of a cormorant diving (no shoulders, no neck, no beak) only it was shooting horizontally. So if Gordon can ID that one, it will be a miracle (or a credit to my descriptive powers). But I'm sure he'll come up with the real name for the red-backed, yellow-beaked, palm tree weavers.

Oh hey, the guy just came by with another smoothie shot.....life is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment