Thursday, October 28, 2010

There's no place like home - Dorothy

Lima to Miami yesterday. Walking from the plane to Immigration we round a corner, get on a moving walkway and what do we see at the end of the walkway but a half a dozen customs agents and a german shepherd dog. Oh, and one young guy up against the wall as one agent tells another one that "it's on his bag and on his clothes." Now imagine how you feel when you are going a few miles above the speed limit and look in your rear view mirror and see a police car behind you. Now imagine how you must feel when you are carrying drugs and come around that corner and see those agents and that dog. That has got to be a major downer.
Anyway, we were only carrying legal drugs purchased cheaply in Lima so we sailed right through and on to see our old friends at the Hilton Miami Airport. Then even though he usually rags on me about being obsessive about working out, Michael actually suggested that I had time to run a couple of miles in the fitness room before dinner. So what does that say about how much I've been eating and drinking on the trip? (It's only the couple of days of illness that may have saved me.) So I get on the treadmill, plug in my earphones and turn on my little, personal television. The channel comes on in Spanish. I'm a little groggy so that throws me. For a brief moment I'm thinking, 'where the heck am I?' In Brazil speaking Spanish in response to Portugese? In Lima speaking Spanish in the face of Spanish? No, I'm in the United States of America. I'm sure of it. I remember going through Customs and Immigration. Yeah, right. The guy with the drug-sniffing dog. That was definitely the US. So why is the TV speaking Spanish? Oh, right. I'm in Miami. Nuff, said.
Anyway, we are home. Got here with three weeks worth of laundry and no laundry soap, but the cats are fine and the house is still standing and the weather is gorgeous and all is right with the world.
Now unless we come across any really outstanding photos to post this is pretty much it for this installment of the blog. But do not despair. Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos are only 3-1/2 weeks away. And new acquaintances at the veterinary meeting in Lima were talking to Michael about speaking in Mexico City and Havana, Cuba which means that next year could include a pretty busy travel schedule as well. So keep in touch. Meanwhile, as they say in Brazil, Ciao. Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment