Friday, June 7, 2024

Very tired and somewhat sentimental

I did not sleep at all on this nearly 13 hour flight.
During dinner I watched a movie… picked out of the thousand because Matt Damon and Emily blunt mentioned it while doing press for Oppenheimer..I believe it's when they first worked together.

Anyway the Adjustment Bureau is great fun and a lovely story…
You can look it up…but it addresses the question of whether we really have free will or if we are unknowingly being manipulated in ways, big and small, by some higher power?

So as I sit here on a plane with Michael on yet another "once in a lifetime" adventure…I can't help but reflect on whether fate or we two brought us together 39 years ago July 8th. The details are too lengthy to cover in this blog….

But suffice it to say that I was on a very decided path towards a life of coveted penny loafers and fair isle sweaters somewhere in New England and Michael had only just upended his own life ….and somehow we ended up driving cross country together in my 76 Chevy monza with some Jimmy Buffett 8-track tapes but without air conditioning in august having known each other for one week. 

Nobody, not one single solitary soul, said that was a good idea -except for one of my veterinary school classmates who actually told me to my face that I should go to California because I would fit in there….(not a compliment on the east coast in case you are unsure)

Anyway, one way or another I stepped off my path and I have never regretted it. In coach or in business class, at home or at the hardware store, it continues to be one helluva ride. 

(Here is Michael sleeping in his spacious suite complete with a full on privacy door - though no a roof!)



1 comment: